- Windows 11 KB5031354 fails to install for many users, displaying error messages such as 0x800f0922, 0x80070002, and 0x800f0900. Multiple workarounds have been tried by users without success.
- Beyond installation issues, the October 2023 Update has introduced several other problems: File Explorer Crashes, AMD Profile Reset, and several games, including Modern Warfare 2, crash or close unexpectedly after the update.
- To fix these issues, users may need to uninstall the problematic update and pause future updates while waiting for official solutions from Microsoft.
Windows 11 KB5031354 fails to install on some systems and seems to be crashing File Explorer, games and more. This update is part of Microsoft’s October 2023 Patch Tuesday cycle, but it turns out to be another mess, with users flagging problems with File Explorer, overall system performance, and AMD profile.
KB5031354 is a mandatory security update for Windows 11 22H2 or newer, and it is supposed to download and install on most of the systems automatically. As a result, some users are notified by Settings that an update has failed to install. Our readers and Feedback Hub posts confirm that the October 2023 Patch could not be installed.
Many users are stuck in the limbo of failed installations, and their attempts to address the issue have been in vain. According to posts in our comments, Feedback Hub, and Reddit, the KB5031354 update is falling to install with the following error messages:
Users have tried several workarounds, including:
- Deleting the SoftwareDistribution folder.
- Windows update troubleshooter.
- Windows 11 installation assistant.
- Manual installation via Microsoft Update Catalog.
- Running SFC scannow and other system…